Use a FLUTED funnel cake mold for this Sweet Pumpkin Cake frosted with Carmel Frosting.
1 cup oil ( safflower)
1.25 cups sugar
1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 cups sugar
.5 cups water
6 tablespoons butter
1 cup heavy cream
1.5 cups softened butter
6 cups powdered sugar 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons caramel
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter cake pan well (I butter the cake pan by softening butter on the stove and then using a pastry brush to thoroughly coat the pan).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix oil, sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. Stir in pumpkin puree and mix until combined.
- Stir in flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Scrape the mixture into the buttered cake pan (I prefer using a silicon spatula).
- Bake for approximately one hour. Test with a toothpick in the middle after 45 minutes, as ovens can vary so much.
in a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat sugar and water over medium heat, whisking constantly to make sure the sugar dissolves. once the mixture comes to a boil, stop whisking it. watch it as it transitions from white to toffee/ amber brown. don’t let it burn. once it browns add the butter and whisk the butter in until melted. If you have a candy thermometer, this should be around 25 degrees.
once its melted, remove it from the heat. Wait 10 seconds and then add the heavy cream.whisk the ingredients together until its well blended and smooth and creamy. allow the caramel to cool and then put in in a jar to keep until you add it to the icing.
Put the butter into a deep bowl and blend on high speed until well whipped , then add the sugar a cup at a time. When they are all well mixed add the vanilla and the caramel. Let the icing sit and don’t ice the cake until the cake is well cooled.